Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Salad


Arizona summers are HOT, this year has been no exception. The past couple of weeks we have been in the 112 to 115 range. Yes, most of the time it is a dry heat, but during our "monsoon" season the humidity increases too!
The very thought of preparing a hot meal makes me perspire!

A few days ago my "fruit lady" received our shipment of Apricots from Utah. I came home with 27 pounds of the large, juicy, deep orange orbs. After making several batches of sugar free apricot jam (see sugar free strawberry jam recipe below and follow same directions), I found I still had many of the beauties left. From these spheres in waiting, came my idea for this deliciously satisfying cool dinner. I might add, it is a rapid fix as well after a busy day at the office!




1/2 bag of baby spinach (approx. 80g)
2 fresh apricots washed and sliced
1/8 cup sliced almonds
drizzle of Mexican Lime Olive Oil, about 1 teaspoon ** you may substitute 2 Tablespoons of EVOO with one packet of TrueLime added. Drizzle 1 teaspoon over salad.
1 oz soft Goat Cheese



Layer above ingredients and serve.

Use the NutritionData widget at the bottom of my blog for further details, but this is an abridgment of the food values in this salad.
2 Apricots = 8 carbs and 34 Calories and a bonus of 1 g fiber very high in potassium and other nutrients.
80 g of Spinach = 4 carbs and 5 g fiber and mega nutrients
1 oz Goat Cheese = O carbs (but caution it has 4 g saturated fat. little crumbles go a long way!
Print

No comments: