Saturday, February 28, 2009

Asparagus


I am excited that it is asparagus season again.  Most all of the local markets have it on sale now.
Growing up I hated the stuff, I think it was because my mother didn't know that you could buy it  fresh.   The slimy texture of asparagus out of a can just isn't the same.  It makes a wonderful side dish, a nice addition to a salad, or in stir fry as well.  

To make these colorful packages, I snapped the woody ends off the asparagus stalks.  Blanched them in boiling water for 2 minutes.  Wrapped them in prosciutto (3 stalks per bundle),
and baked them at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.  The color was wonderful, they were crisp, tender and sooo good.    There was no need to season as the thin slices of prosciutto added just enough salt and flavor.
Asparagus is a natural diuretic and packed full of good nutrition!  
Print

No comments: